In the 13th Century this village was known as Cumberton Minor. St Peter’s Church is thought to date from the 12th Century at the earliest but much of it was restored during 1885-6.
Artefacts discovered in the churchyard such as a glass bottle and coins dating from the reign of the Emperor Julian have led people to suggest that this church was built on the site of a Roman temple.
The village has some beautiful timber-framed buildings, particularly evident in Manor Lane which leads from the church. Some of these buildings used to house the village forge, the post office, the shop and the bakery, but sadly these have all disappeared.
At Nash’s Farm (thought to date from the 17th Century), there is a very large circular dovecote made of stone, which may be medieval.
The orchards of white blossom which used to be the provider of pears and apples for perry and cider-making and plums for jam have now disappeared from around the village, along with the fields of flax.
During the Second World War jam was an essential part of the nation’s diet and in the small golden village hall which once housed the school, people would come from nearby villages to join the ladies of Little Comberton in making jam.
The ladies would be handed the ingredients measured out meticulously by a Government inspector, then the pans on the gas rings would bubble away and the produce of the Vale sent to the bomb-torn cities.
Although Little Comberton is no longer an agricultural village and many residents commute to work in nearby towns, there is still a friendly community spirit and the recently-expanded village hall is the centre for much community activity, such as the village playgroup.