In Saxon times a chieftain named Ecci, together with his retainer (ing) and palisade (tun) produced the name Eckington for this village on the western slopes of Bredon Hill.
The River Avon flows nearby. Centuries ago there was a ferry boat crossing but in 1440 a bridge was built. However, by 1720 repairs were no longer feasible so the parish paid for the stone bridge of six arches. It cost £170, plus £20 provided by the county.
The village, which is spread to both sides of the main road, consists of properties that date back to the 16th century, some of which are thatched , along with some Cotswold stone houses and some old red brick, together with more modern properties.
The village cross has a base that dates back to Saxon times. In most villages the cross head was destroyed by Protestants objecting to the worship of objects (iconoclasm) soon after the creation of the Church of England in the 16th century. The cross head in Eckington was no exception and the current one is a 19th century addition.
Holy Trinity Church in the main street dates from the 13th century and contains a fine Jacobean monument to John Hanford, who built Woollas Hall, which stands 400 feet up on Bredon Hill behind the village.
Eckington once had two shops, a boot maker, blacksmith, basket maker and four pubs. Now it is served by a village store which was built in the Victorian era, a primary school, two hairdressers and two pubs, The Bell and The Anchor.
When Eckington’s railway cutting was being dug in 1838, the remains of a Roman Villa were discovered. This included foundations, tiles, a well and many shards of pottery. The once-thriving railway station closed under the Beeching cuts of the 1960s and trains now only flash by the village.
The village hall was built as a memorial in 1928 to those who lost their lives in the First World War.
Eckington’s close proximity to the river attracts anglers, the boating fraternity and walkers.